Operating under the Office of the Provost and subsequently the Chancellor, the Office of the Vice Provost for Diversity and Chief Diversity Officer formulates, aligns, coordinates and executes UW-Madison’s Diversity Framework, diversity policies, messaging, and initiatives in both the academic and administrative areas. The role of the Chief Diversity Officer is to support the mission of the University of Wisconsin–Madison as it works to create a diverse, inclusive, and excellent learning and work environment for all students, faculty, staff, alumni, and others who partner with the university.
The Division of Diversity, Equity & Educational Achievement’s operative priority is to make progress toward the university’s strategic diversity interests:
- Increasing access for all qualified students, especially for underrepresented minorities and women in the STEM areas
- Eliminating the achievement gap between majority and underrepresented students;
- Recruiting and retaining a more diverse faculty and staff
- Preparing all our students, staff and faculty to thrive personally and professionally in a world that is diverse, global and interconnected
- Enhancing the campus climate for inclusion. In striving toward these shared goals, the Division of Diversity, Equity & Educational Achievement is engaged in key collaborative partnerships with the Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff, the Vice Provost for Enrollment Management, the Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning, the Dean of Students, as well as student leaders, deans, directors and governance bodies across campus.