A message from Dean of Students Lori Berquam

Dear Students of Color and Allies,

It has been a long few days for me, as I am sure it has been for you. I am now finally able to do what I have done for a while in my head – write a letter to you. As I stare at the screen, willing my words to pour out, I realize the incidents that have happened this semester have vividly illuminated the fact that the UW-Madison community as a whole has not fully understood or addressed the racial issues on this campus.

I have heard your pain, your anger, and your frustration. I also have heard the joy and pride you experience as students on our campus. I know your experience can be mixed, at best. The stories you’ve shared on #therealUW and to me personally are a powerful testimony to what you live through daily. And you are living through this in a place that is supposed to support you. What I hear deeply disturbs me but I applaud you for bravely sharing your frustration, disappointment and pain. Yes, our campus has serious work to do.

Largely because of efforts by you and other committed members of our campus community, I also have seen progress – our campus is leaning into challenging conversations like we never have before. But let’s be honest, there are times that we will take a step backward. Thursday’s entry by a police officer into a class that was in session is just that – something that should not have happened.

Late yesterday, I spoke with a number of our faculty members of color. These faculty care about you and they have advocated for you. From them, I learned there are students who were hesitant to go to class on Friday because of the incident on Thursday.

Especially with finals nearing, I am making it a priority to address this concern so all of our students can focus on their academic success. I hope you have seen statements by Chancellor Blank and Chief Riseling acknowledging that this entry into the classroom should not have happened and affirming the importance of respecting classrooms as learning spaces. Counseling drop-in hours are available at the Multicultural Student Center (Tuesdays 2 p.m. ­– 5 p.m. and Wednesdays 9 a.m. – 11 a.m.) – no appointment is needed.

I also want to share updates on other actions we’re taking:

• This past week, several students and staff toured other cultural centers at Big Ten universities. They will share their findings and ideas in the coming days.
  • University Health Services is actively recruiting for two additional counseling positions.
  • Progress continues on the cultural competency experience for incoming new students. Many staff, faculty and students are involved in the formulation of the pilot program for fall 2016.
  • SOAR this summer will offer several opportunities for new students to understand our expectations regarding contributing to a welcoming and inviting campus.
  • We continue to invite your proposals for other actions we can take. We have already received many submissions from across campus and I hope this will lead to meaningful improvements in our campus climate. The deadline for submittals is Thursday.

I have work to do and the campus has work to do. It’s not your job to teach us what that work is, but I want you to know I am learning from you. I will continue to do all I can to improve the UW until everyone feels they belong.

For those interested in sharing your ideas and concerns directly, I will be available for conversation on Sunday, April 17, at the Out of the Darkness walk for suicide prevention and awareness. The resource fair begins at noon, the program begins at 1 and the walk starts at 1:30 in the Sellery Backyard. I hope to see you there.

Lori Berquam

Vice Provost and Dean of Students