Hundreds of current students and alumni of the fraternities and sororities of the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC), also known as the Divine Nine, and their many supporters gathered on May 7, 2022, for the grand opening of the Divine Nine Garden Plaza in the heart of the University of Wisconsin–Madison campus.
The nine historical markers on East Campus Mall honor and acknowledge the achievements, contributions, presence and history of the historically Black fraternities and sororities that make up NPHC, seven of which are active at UW–Madison:
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
- Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
- Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.
- Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.
The first NPHC chapters began at UW–Madison in 1946, making the unveiling of the Plaza more than 75 years in the making.