A panel of academic and community experts convened virtually on Wednesday, Feb. 10, 2021 for a special discussion about “The Niceties,” a play by Eleanor Burgess and performed virtually by Madison’s Forward Theater Company from Jan. 22 to Feb. 7. Watch a replay of the panel discussion below. Read the transcript.
- Renita Clayton, External Relations Administrator (moderator)
- Lexi Gee, UW-Madison Alum, Graduate Student
- Dr. Alex Gee, UW-Madison alum, father of Lexi Gee
- Jen Uphoff Gray, Artistic Director, Forward Theater Co.
- Dr. Paul C. Harris, Associate Professor, University of Virginia
- “The N-Word Again?!?!: Racial Trauma In The UW-Madison Classroom with Lexi Gee” (Overcast) from Dr. Alex Gee’s “Black Like Me” podcast season 3 episode 61
- “A Collaborative Dialogue on the N-Word in a University Classroom” (JSTOR) by Lexi Gee and Sarah Wood, published in Transformations: The Journal of Inclusive Scholarship and Pedagogy Vol. 28, No. 2 (2018). Please contact us if you are unable to access the article via JSTOR.
- Learn more about “The Niceties” by Forward Theater
Watch a behind-the-scenes look at the innovative process of creating The Niceties, with actresses Samantha Newcomb and Sarah Day.