Welcome from Damon A. Williams

Dear Members of the UW–Madison Community, I am delighted to announce the launch of the new Creating Community website. We have been working on this project for some time, with wonderful assistance from University Communications, in order to provide the campus community with a clearinghouse for the many wonderful things across campus that are happening to promote diversity.

As Vice Provost and Chief Diversity Officer for the Division of Diversity, Equity and Educational Achievement, I want to provide a space not only for my office to share updates with you regarding the initiatives that we are working on, but also to provide a platform for you to share your ideas and efforts with our community.  Some of the ways that you will be able to connect include:

• My blog, which includes a comment section that allows you to share your thoughts with me directly
  • A guest blog that will provide reports and updates from your colleagues
  • Links to the Division’s Facebook and Twitter accounts
  • A Flickr account where people can share photos
  • A contact form where you can sign up for emails and event invitations
  • A donation page where you can support programs and initiatives

As some of you may know, last year my office underwent a reorganization that brought together a number of key programs in order to provide closer contact between staffs and to ensure that we work closely together in order to promote our university’s strategic goals around diversity.

Since the reorganization, we have been hard at work on a number of projects and initiatives.  A comprehensive update of these activities can be accessed here.  I invite you to share your thoughts about them here, as well as to share ideas of other ways that we can promote access, equity and inclusion at UW–Madison.

I look forward to an ongoing conversation and to hear from you about what is happening in your own programs and offices.

Best,
Damon A. Williams, PhD.

Vice Provost and Chief Diversity Officer
Division of Diversity, Equity and Educational Achievement