Celebrating the Life of Cydney M. Edwards

The Division of Diversity, Equity & Educational Achievement is remembering our amazing colleague and friend to many, Cydney M. Edwards. Cydney passed away unexpectedly in the early morning of October 21, 2023.

We will be hosting a Celebration of Life for Cydney on Monday, November 6 from 5:15-7:15 p.m. at the Alumni Lounge in the Pyle Center. Virtual celebration.

Cydney began working as the Office of Multicultural Arts Initiatives (OMAI) Associate Director in November 2022, but has been a part of the Badger family long before she began her career with the university. Welcoming her back to UW felt like a full circle moment. As an alumna of the First Wave Hip Hop and Urban Arts Scholarship Program (2nd Cohort) who used her art to push for social justice, Cydney embodied the mission of OMAI in her life and work. She led with her heart, and DDEEA was thrilled about Cydney’s return last year as Associate Director.

“Welcoming someone as exceptional as Cydney, who possessed an unwavering dedication to student success, was a source of great joy. To say that Cydney was forging a brighter future for OMAI/First Wave students would be an understatement. Her presence and influence touched everyone who had the privilege of knowing her,” said Dr. Raul Leon, Assistant Vice Provost for Student Engagement and Scholarship Programs.

Many remember Cydney’s voice as her most powerful tool of inspiration. Her ability to galvanize scholars to join the debate team in pursuit of change, or to move her community to take action through her own poetry, left a profound impact. You can watch her poetry performance during the Semi–Finals at the College Unions Poetry Slam Invitational with Gabriel De Los Reyes in 2009 by clicking here.

“I met Cydney during a time I was artistically malnourished, buried in the rigors of academic research. I felt like I lost my voice, but Cydney pushed me to find it again, and helped me infuse my passion for art into my research. Cydney was not only a visionary leader who thrived off of empowering others, she also had an endearing tender side, and was genuinely one of the most empathetic people I ever met. When I think of Cydney, I’m reminded of Peter Strople’s profound words: ‘Legacy is not leaving something for people, it’s about leaving something within people,’” said Chief Diversity Officer, Dr. LaVar J. Charleston.

Cydney made a lasting impact not only on friends, family, and colleagues, but the entire community. Tributes have been pouring in since Cydney’s passing. Friends call Cydney “one of the most compassionate people to walk this earth.” Others say they will miss her “innate ability to bring joy and laughter to those around her.” Another loved one said, Cydney “embodied love in so many ways. She was a warm hug everlasting.”

Cydney’s funeral is planned for Saturday, November 4 at Gatlings Chapel in Chicago, IL. Visitation will be held from 1:30-2 p.m., and the funeral service will follow from 2-3 p.m.

We recognize everyone experiences grief differently, and as you work through this loss, please know that we are here to support you and you are not alone. Individual counseling sessions are offered through UW–Madison’s Employee Assistance Office, or after hours at LifeMatters at no cost to you.

We extend our heartfelt condolences to all who knew and loved Cydney.