The University of Wisconsin–Madison is seeking nominations for the 2024 Regents Diversity Awards. These awards recognize people, units and initiatives whose work has fostered greater access and success for students who are members of historically underrepresented populations (including African American, Native American, Hispanic/Latino, Asian American, and Southeast Asian), first-generation and/or economically disadvantaged.
UW System will grant up to three awards of $7,500 each to individuals (any individual affiliated with the UW System and its universities) or units (academic departments, programs, units, teams or initiatives) from across the UW System to support professional development or continuing programmatic activities. UW–Madison will nominate one individual and one program or unit. Recipients will be recognized at the Board of Regents meeting on February 9, 2024.
Nominations are due by September 28, 2023. Learn more and submit a nomination today.
Nominations must supply evidence of outcomes and impact on members of historically underrepresented, first-generation or economically disadvantaged population groups, including disaggregating data where appropriate.
Nominees’ work must demonstrate:
- Sustainable positive impact on equity and diversity, leading to positive university change
- Accountability demonstrated through routine assessment and use of feedback loops to promote forward movement on equity and diversity goals
- Intersections across multiple dimensions of diversity
- Collaborations with other units, departments, or communities, both within the university and beyond
Use this form to submit a nomination of an individual or unit to be UW–Madison’s nominee for this UW System award.
Nominations should not exceed 15 pages and include:
- A statement (limit 4-pages) describing the exemplary work of the individual, department, program, unit or team. The statement by the nominee should clearly articulate measurable evidence of their impact and achievements under each of the four award criteria.
- A resume/CV (limit 4-pages) of the nominee. For the Department/Program/Unit/Team nominee, include the resume/CV for the coordinator/head/chair.
- One or two letters of support (limit 2-pages each) addressing the achievements of the individual or department program, unit, or team from the:
- Department Chair, Program Coordinator, Unit Head, immediate supervisor, or advisor
- An individual who has first-hand knowledge of the individual, department, program, unit, or team.
Nomination materials are subject to release under Wisconsin Open Records laws and should be written with the possibility of those materials being made publicly available.
Established by the Board of Regents in 2008, the award signifies the Board’s commitment to “achieving educational diversity at all UW System institutions … in order to fully develop advanced human potential, the jobs that employ that potential, and the flourishing of communities that sustain it.” Learn more about the Regents Diversity Award.
Recent UW–Madison recipients include:
- Dr. Lori Kido Lopez, Professor of Communication Arts and Director of Asian American Studies Program, UW–Madison (2013)
- The Wisconsin Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation in the College of Engineering (2021), which works to increase the number of students graduating in STEM disciplines
- The UW–Madison Department of Chemistry in the College of Letters & Science (2020) for its Research Experiences for Undergraduates, Chemistry Opportunities, Catalyst and Chemistry Bridge to the Doctorate initiatives