The Gender and Sexuality Campus Center at UW–Madison will host the annual Trans Monologues event this Thursday at Madison’s Central Library.
The public is welcome to join in-person or online as performers share stories about their lives, experiences, relationships and communities as trans, nonbinary and gender-nonconforming (TNG) people. Trans Monologues is an open mic event and not a contest.
- Date: Thursday, Nov. 18, 2021
- Time: Doors open 6 p.m., performances 6:30 – 8 p.m. CST
- Location: Madison’s Central Library, 201 W. Mifflin St.
- Virtual Option: Join over Zoom at go.wisc.edu/tm2021zoom
- Cost: Free
The library venue is wheelchair accessible. Restrooms will be labeled as all-gender. The performance will include CART captioning. For accommodations, comments, questions, or concerns, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-265-3344.
Trans Awareness Week
Each November 13 through 19 is Trans Awareness Week, where people and organizations around the United States take action to help raise the visibility of transgender people and address issues members of the community face. The week culminates on Nov. 20 with the Transgender Day of Remembrance, an annual observance that honors the memory of transgender people whose lives were lost in acts of anti-transgender violence that year.
Resources for Trans, Nonbinary, and Gender-Nonconforming People
Please email us if we’re missing important campus or community resources and
we’ll add them here.
- Gender and Sexuality Campus Center (GSCC)
- GSCC Discord server (includes trans-specific channel for 24/7 discussion)
- LGBTQ Resource Library
- Navigating the UW campus (housing, restrooms, preferred name policy)
- Trans Health Support (transition care, name and gender records, insurance)
- Support & Crisis (coming out, reporting bias, mental health emergencies, housing support, help lines, etc.)
- University Health Services
- LGBTQ+ Resources in the Libraries | UW–Madison Gender and Women’s Studies Librarian
- Madison Area Transgender Association (MATA) (private Facebook group)
- OUT HEALTH
- PFLAG Madison
- Trans Services & Resources | OutReach LGBTQ+ Community Center
- Trans Lifeline (grassroots hotline run by and for trans people)
Resources for Allies
- DISCLOSURE | Netflix Original Documentary
- Guide to Being an Ally to Transgender and Nonbinary Youth – The Trevor Project
- How To Be an Ally to Transgender and Gender-Nonconforming People | Boston University
- Pronouns Matter | GSCC
- Supporting the Transgender People in Your Life: A Guide to Being a Good Ally | National Center for Transgender Equality
- Tips for Allies of Transgender People | GLAAD
- Understanding the Transgender Community | Human Rights Campaign