**Updated** Please note the nomination deadline has been changed to Sunday, Sept. 27.
We are pleased to request nominations of UW-Madison faculty, staff, departments or units for the UW System’s 2021 Regents Diversity Awards. Please feel free to share this call widely.
UW System Regents Diversity Award Background
The purpose of this award is to recognize institutional change agents who have established a successful record in fostering greater access and success for students who are members of historically underrepresented populations (including African American, Native American, Hispanic/Latino, Asian American, and Southeast Asian), first-generation and/or economically disadvantaged.
Established by the Board of Regents during Plan 2008, the award signifies the Board’s commitment to “…achieving educational diversity at all UW System institutions… in order to fully develop advanced human potential, the jobs that employ that potential, and the flourishing of communities that sustain it.” This commitment continues in the current Inclusive Excellence framework.
We encourage nomination of individuals, departments, programs, units and teams that have established a successful record in fostering greater access and success for students who are members of historically underrepresented populations (including African American, Native American, Hispanic/Latino, Asian American, and Southeast Asian), first-generation and/or economically disadvantaged are encouraged. Nominations which fail to meaningfully address efforts fostering greater access and success for students who are members of underrepresented populations, first-generation, and/or economically disadvantaged will not be considered.
- Individual – Any individual affiliated with the UW System and its institutions, including but not limited, to faculty, staff, and students.
- Department/Program/Unit/Team – Academic or support department, or program, or initiative within the larger institution, or a student, faculty, or staff organization or team recognized as a bona-fide group within the institution. Teams are not limited to formal organizational units.
Each nomination must provide evidence of outcomes and impacts on the eligible population(s), disaggregating data where appropriate (qualitative and/or quantitative evidence of outcomes/impacts), using the following criteria:
- Sustainable positive impact on equity and diversity, leading to positive institutional change.
- Accountability demonstrated through routine assessment and use of feedback loops to promote forward movement on equity and diversity goals.
- Intersections across multiple dimensions of diversity.
- Collaborations with other units, departments, or communities, both within the institution and beyond.
Nomination packets should include:
- Letter of Nomination: A letter of nomination that clearly addresses the four award criteria (sustainability, accountability, intersections, and collaborations).
- Statement by the Nominee: A statement describing the exemplary work of the individual, department, program, unit or team (4-page limit). The statement by the nominee should clearly articulate measurable evidence of their impact and achievements under each of the four award criteria (sustainability, accountability, intersections, and collaborations).
- Resume / Curriculum Vitae: A resume/CV of the nominee (4-page limit).. *For the Department/Program/Unit/Team nomination, please include the resume/CV for the coordinator/head/chair.
- Letters of Support: one or two letters of support addressing the achievements of the individual or department, program, unit or team from (2-page limit):
- Chancellor, Provost, and/or Dean.
- Department Chair, Program Coordinator, Unit Head, immediate supervisor, or advisor.
- An individual who has first-hand knowledge of the individual, department, program, unit or team.
Up to three awards of $7,500 each will be made to individuals, departments, programs, units and/or teams in recognition of their exceptional efforts in fostering greater equity and diversity across their institutions and communities. The funds for these awards are designated to support individualized professional development or continuing programmatic activities. Award recipients will be publicly recognized on Feb. 5, 2021, at the UW System Board of Regents meeting at UW-Madison.
Please send a nomination package to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, September 27, 2020. A small selection committee, including members of the Provost’s Office and Deputy Vice Chancellor for Diversity and Inclusion will convene to select a UW-Madison recipient and submit final nomination to UW System on behalf of the Chancellor Rebecca Blank. Recipients from all UW System campuses will be recognized at an awards ceremony and reception in February 5, 2021.