The Office of Affirmative Action Planning and Programming (OAAPP) oversees UW–Madison’s strategies and compliance related to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action. This includes developing and implementing UW–Madison’s Affirmative Action Plans and providing data-informed service to the university and schools, colleges, and divisions. OAAPP serves as a resource hub for workforce diversity, equity, and inclusion and supports institutional efforts in creating a welcoming and inclusive community.
Key Products and Services
Affirmative Action Plans
As federal contractor, UW–Madison is required by federal regulations and laws to take affirmative action to employ and advance minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans in the workplace. These regulations and laws include Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act, and Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA), enforced by the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs of the U.S. Department of Labor.
Pursuant to those laws and orders, OAAPP develops and maintains three Affirmative Action Plans for each year:
- EO 11246 AAP (general program with focus on women and minorities)
- Section 503 AAP (for individuals with disabilities)
- VEVRAA AAP (for protected veterans)
Workforce Diversity Reports
OAAPP provides annual divisional Workforce Diversity Reports for schools, colleges, and divisions that mirror the analysis found in the Affirmative Action Plan for the university.
These reports provide a foundation for ongoing collaborations and conversations between the OAAPP and leadership in the Division of Diversity, Equity & Educational Achievement on institutional efforts on diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workforce.
Workforce Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Service
OAAPP has the resources, skills, and expertise to provide analysis and consultation for schools, colleges, divisions, and units to support their institutional affirmative action and workforce diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts. Such service may be used to fulfill various needs, such as:
- Assessment of diversity, equity, and inclusion programs and initiatives
- Fulfillment of audit requirements from government agencies and other funding agencies
- Recommendation of outreach efforts to underrepresented and underserved applicant and employee groups
- Comparison of the workforce with labor market, peer institutions, and professional organizations
- Trend analysis of the workforce
The preparation of OAAPP reports is heavily dependent on the integrity, accuracy, and timeliness of self-reported demographic information. The university is also required by laws and regulations to invite employees to update their information at least every five years.
The university is required to collect and report demographic information (sex, race, ethnicity, disability status, and veteran status) about applicants and employees to comply with Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action laws and regulations. This information will be used for summary reporting purposes and to support institutional Affirmative Action efforts. All information obtained will be kept confidential. Submission of this information is voluntary.
Current employees of UW–Madison can log into MyUW self-service portal to submit or update their information about race, ethnicity, disability status, and veteran status. In the “Personal Information” app, click “Update My Personal Information.” You can submit or update your race and ethnicity in “Ethnic Groups” tab, your disability status in “Disability” tab, and your veteran status in “Veteran Status” tab.
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
Federal Laws and Regulations
- Diversity Connect in Recruitment Toolkit, Office of Human Resources
- Employee Disability Resources Office, providing reasonable accommodations for employees and applicants
- Engagement, Inclusion and Diversity, Office of Human Resources
- Equal Opportunity Complaint Investigation, Office of Compliance
- Faculty and Staff Diversity & Inclusion Resources
- Faculty Diversity Initiative, Office of the Provost
- Policy UW-300: UW–Madison Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Policy Statement
- Women in Science & Engineering Leadership Institute